River Town Road Trip: St. Mary's College, Maryland

The Maryland Dove
My teaching and travels have taken up all my time lately, which is why it's been a while since I posted here.  I'm just back from my most recent trip, to St. Mary's College, Maryland's public honors college, in the gorgeous river town of St. Mary's City.

Leaving home is always the hardest part of any road trip. When Nico saw me packing my bags, he tried his darnedest to discourage me from going.


But once I got past my bodyguard, the trip was a breeze. What could be better than chatting about poetry and fiction with the spirited and bright students of St. Mary's?  I also gave an evening reading, and spent a lovely last morning with the College's Arts Alliance discussing poems inspired by fairy tales and myth.

And I was able to spend a little time exploring one of the prettiest campuses I've ever seen.  

In the distance, the sailing team practices maneuvers on the St. Mary's River

St. Mary's College is an especially hospitable place for poets and poetry.  In fact, the late, great Lucille Clifton taught there for many years, and her poems make welcome cameo appearances at every turn.





Comments

Popular Posts